After watching the trailer I realize that 'Star Trek Into Darkness' has a similarity with 'The Dark Knight' ..Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Joker...terrorizing people and Chris Pine is the Batman without a mask.
HOLY CHEEZUS! You are awesome, I'm left stupefied.
Layer order from back to front ->
1) a space background covers the whole canvas
2) then a texture stock image of some sort where you laid it ontop of the space back ground then using the eraser tool on opacity that feathers so that the corners don't erase sharply you slowly erased the corners to blend with the back.
3) The light is tricky but that would be on the 3rd layer on top of the space background and texture. Could it have been a brush? There are light brushes out there that can do this. Or an image that you manipulated then layer blended adjusting brightness.
4) Then the images of the characters which you could find on their fan sites were used and added on. Captain Picard is on his own layer and you took the same space background and layered it on his coat with blending mode, because his jacket is dark the space background would have layered well on top. On the bottom near his knees you can see the a planetary outline so that bright light on Spock's hand is part of the image meaning you used a planet space stock image. The star behind Ohura looks like it's Illustrator made. I don't know how to do that but I think you might be able to find that flare on filters, it might be Photoshop given. Ohura has an outer glow effect.
5) Then you would find a good image of city buildings and slowly and carefully erased to back it blend. Then you painted the light lavender slowly working upwards taking in consideration the opacity.
6) Then Spock was put in and blended nicely with a pinkish outer and inner glow.
7) Then the Enterprise
The text is really nice, I like how you left the area around the text just space. The color pallet is unified well. Good job on the placement.
1 & 2 ) actually 2 small background merged into one then I copy the image to make it bigger ..n that's not exactly space background
3) I made it with lasso and blur effects. always blur effect.
4) correction : Captain Kirk not Picard. this one I used space background and blend it in to his jacket. u right.
the star behind Uhura is a photoshop flare effect.
5) This is taken from trailer scene of ST into Darkness. I only erased the sky and pressed the pic. so there is no sky..the lavender sky u mentioned is actually the white brush to cover Kirk's body n of corz with blur effects.
6 & 7) correct!!
Again Tnxx very much 4 analyzing my work. I appreciate yer effort..I really have fun reading it.